Thursday, November 17, 2011

Psalm for the Day: God's Glory

These past few weeks, I have been allergic to the notion of God's Glory. I don't even start my class with the "Glory be..." anymore.

I have nothing against God and his glory nor do I begrudge him for it nor do I seek to take any of his glory away. It's just that God's glory is associated with so many things that it seems like it provides a cover for personal glory or institutional glory. Invoking the Greater Glory of God just makes the glorified persons or institutions appear magnanimous because said persons or institutions seek to redirect attention away from themselves while not really doing so.

And our idea of God's glory tends to be very far from the image of Christ on the cross. Our images of God's glory (victory, accomplishment, etc) seem really glamorous in comparison to the seeming defeat on the cross and seem loud in contrast to the intimacy of the Resurrection.

No comments:

Post a Comment