Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Thought for the Day: Joyfully

The Gospel for today speaks of two sons asked by their father to do something. One says he won't do the task but eventually goes off and does it. The other says he'll do the task but eventually doesn't.

The moral of the study is that what is important is what we do and not what we say we'll do (or won't do). But I'll take off on a tangent today.

I remember that when I was in college, my father would sometimes ask me to do small things like fetch his eyeglasses or his papers from his room. Sometimes I'd grumble but I'd do it inevitably.

One day, I found myself asking for the grace to do things for my father joyfully. Sometimes we've got to do what we've got to do even if we don't feel like doing it. But if we've got to do it anyway, we might as well ask for the grace to do it joyfully. Sometimes, it is not just the verb but also the adverb that modifies the verb which makes all the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment