Thursday, January 26, 2012

Reading for Yesterday: Paul II

The reading for today is a letter of Paul to Timothy. But I want to write a little more about Paul's conversion.

I've written a lot about obedience lately (seems to be a theme that runs through the bible) but a problem we face is how we are to know what God is asking us to do here and now.

I was going to write that I envy the apostles because God was right there with them giving orders. Follow me, go to Jerusalem, etc. And then it becomes a simple case of obeying or not obeying.

But then again, I don't think the apostles expected that this guy they were following was God himself. So maybe they were also in a quandary about whether or not to obey and at one point, many disciples left.

But Paul is especially blessed because God appeared to him and there could have been little doubt that the light  he saw and the voice he heard was God's. Sometimes I wish that God would speak to us that clearly and confirm it all by sending someone like Ananias. I think Ignatius called the revelation to Paul as a "consolation to the soul without any previous cause."

But then again, all those God spoke to that clearly usually had a difficult life. So maybe it's a case of be careful what you wish for.


No comments:

Post a Comment